The Council had a series of very specific objectives including:
- A vision for an effective governance philosophy.
- A governance system or model which will meet the new challenge of the Six Nations Council as it moves toward implementing a clarified shared vision of the future.
- A clear outline and Board policy about the expected results of the Six Nations Council.
- An identification of the strategic priorities to be addressed in the next one to three years.
- Recommendations (and implementation strategies) regarding the Council’s composition, recruitment, retention, and orientation strategies.
- An effective Council structure and supporting structure which recognizes the environmental influences on the organization and which is functional in producing the necessary governance results.
- A preliminary set of revised Council policy decisions which reflect the new directions of the Council.